South Sudan News Agency

Friday, Jan 30th, 2015

Last update11:29:07 PM GMT

You are here: News Breaking News

Breaking News: IGAD-mediated talks between South Sudan’s rivals collapse in Ethiopia — Negotiations to Resume on February 1st

Addis Ababa, January 29, 2015 (SSNA) -- The IGAD-mediated talks between South Sudan's Kiir and Machar have collapsed in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa. Power sharing arrangement is the main cause of the failure, an African Union diplomatic source with full knowledge of the talks told the South Sudan news Agency.

In the meeting, the two warring sides were told to report back to IGAD by the 1st of February 2015. The regional block, IGAD, also warned the two factions to produce a solution by the first day of February or face action from IGAD member states.

The peace proposal presented to Kiir and Machar by IGAD heads of states includes structure of the leadership of the Transitional Government of National Unity (TGONU), succession during the transition period, power sharing, South Sudan national parliament, among others.

In the document, Kiir must remain as the president with two Vice Presidents…and the 2nd VP must come from the Greater Equatoria region. The proposal also states that the President and VP must be succeeded by people from their political parties.

On the power sharing, the document further stated that the government will retain 60%, SPLM-IO 30%, and 10% for former political detainees and other political parties.

However, the roles of the President and VP are yet to be worked out. The SSNA was told that decision making process within the TGONU must be 80% consensus.

IGAD also said all current members of South Sudan's national parliament must remain in their positions; however, it proposed to add 68 new members who will be selected from all sides and added to the parliament.

US Removes South Sudan from its ‘Trade Benefits Program’

Washington, DC, December 23, 2014 (SSNA) -- The government of the United States has on Tuesday issued a presidential proclamation, removing the Republic of South Sudan from its trade benefits program, Reuters News Agency reported.

The presidential proclamation did not mention any reason as to why the US chooses to drop South Sudan from its duty-free trade program.

The move, which is set to take effect on January 1, 2015, comes more than a year after fighting erupted in Juba in Mid-December last year.

It is unclear what triggers the latest move by the main backer of the young nation.

However, the US has in the past issued threats of economic sanctions against individuals who stand in the way of the ongoing peace talks in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.

The United States also said it will support looming sanctions against South Sudan currently under development by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

Earlier this month, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Samantha Power, met face-to-face with South Sudanese Foreign Minister Dr. Barnaba Marial Benjamin and told him that Washington is ready to support UN mandated sanctions against Juba.

Intelligence Leaks: Uganda, South Sudan to Attack Rebel Positions in Jonglei 'Soon'

Juba/Kampala, December 22, 2014 (SSNA) -- Combined forces of The Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF) and Sudan People’s Liberation Army-Juba have left Bor town heading toward Lou Nuer and Ayod areas ready to launch simultaneous attacks on rebel positions in Jonglei State, a confidential UPDF-SPLA military document leaked to the South Sudan News Agency (SSNA) has revealed.

The deployments which officially began late last week (South Sudan local time) are destined for Fangak, Uror, and Waat.

“The presence of rebels in Uror, Fangak, and Ayod is not good for our security. We will soon attack and destroy them,” the document reads in part.

“On December 20, the SPLA and Ugandan forces left Bor town for Ayod and Lou Nuer areas. They are now well positioned to launch simultaneous attacks on rebels positions at anytime," it added.

The source also disclosed that South Sudan’s soldiers were briefed last Thursday by their superiors and told not to disappoint the government.

The source who leaked the document was also contacted by the SSNA to corroborate the claims; the source went in details, describing the looming attacks as “serious”, adding that the young country must prepare itself for a catastrophic failure.

On November 5, the South Sudan News Agency obtained a carefully designed wide-raging Ugandan military war plan against South Sudan’s rebels. In the document, the UPDF asked the rebels to either surrender or be wiped out.

The military intervention of Uganda anger opposition forces; with Uganda refusing to withdraw its troops from South Sudan and claiming that Juba has requested Kampala’s involvement.

More Articles...

Page 1 of 22

  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  3 
  •  4 
  •  5 
  •  6 
  •  7 
  •  8 
  •  9 
  •  10 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »

Our Mission Statement

To bring the latest, most relevant news and opinions on issues relating to the South Sudan and surrounding regions.

To provide key information to those interested in the South Sudan and its people.