South Sudan News Agency

Sunday, May 01st, 2016

Last update03:05:59 AM GMT

You are here: News

South Sudan’s presidency asks Lawmakers to back peace deal as Uganda prepares to withdraw its troops

Juba, September 22, 2015 (SSNA) -- South Sudanese government on Tuesday asked Lawmakers to support and back the IGAD-Plus’s compromise peace agreement which was signed last month by the rival factions.

The call comes as Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni indicates willingness to withdraw his troops from South Sudan.

Vice president James Wani Igga said his government is committed to peace and its implementation, adding that anyone who does not like the deal should “stomach it.”

"We are committed to peace, and we are committed to implement this agreement. If there is anybody affected by this agreement please stomach it... there are good things in this agreement,” James Wani Igga told the visibly nervous lawmakers.

Igga, who cautiously addressed the parliament, urged the people of south Sudan to support peace which he said should be the “last war.”

"We are not blind, we are simply saying, 'this and that is wrong', but it is not meant to stop the agreement from implementation. South Sudanese, let this be the last war,” Igga said.

Kampala began fighting alongside Juba against rebel forces just days after the civil war broke out in December 2013. Yoweri Museveni famously announced that he gave rebel leader Dr. Riek Machar 3-4 days to stop fighting and surrender himself to Juba.

Uganda has been accused of serious crimes against humanity. In November 2014, the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF) asked the SPLA-IO to either "surrender or be wiped out." In February 2014, Ugandan government was accused by the United Nations (UN) of using cluster bombs against the armed opposition and civilians in Jonglei State.

The involvement of Ugandan military in South Sudan angers rebels. Ugandan government has been claiming that Juba has asked Kampala for a military assistance.

Museveni told Machar last week in Khartoum that he is ready to withdraw Ugandan troops from south Sudan.

The power-sharing deal calls for all foreign troops to withdraw from south Sudan within 45 days.

Thiang Nuer Youth Association condemns Government’s continues offensive, calls for more humanitarian assistance

Press release

September 20, 2015 (SSNA) -- First and foremost, the Thiang Nuer Youth Association would like to condemn in the strongest term possible, the Juba’s Government continuing offensive contrary to IGAD-PLUS compromise Peace Accord signed last month in Addis Ababa as well as in Juba.  We know, the government’s prime objective (as it has been always the case) is to exterminate further, displace more innocent civilians and to gain new territories not under its control in three states of Greater Upper Nile.

Unequivocally, even after when the peace agreement was signed by Juba the same Juba government was also busy throughout sending military-war-barges mounted with lethal modern weapons, manoeuvring to destroy further Greater Upper’s original three states. Those military barges chaotically attacked and bombed Unity state’s Panyijiar, Leer, Koch, Guit counties and Fangak county of Phow (Jonglei) state as well as Panyikang county of Fashoda (Upper Nile) state. Fangak County was where ninety (90%) percent of all sycophants -soldiers lured in those military barges met their deserved end, with their military hard-ware completely destroyed by the Freedom fighters, the SPLA-IO supported by the community based rapid defend force, the White Army.

Millions congratulations / bravos to Freedom Fighters!! If truth itself is God, then all those who are financially and easily enticed to stand up not for public interest will likewise continue meet their own death-end in South Sudan’s soil. “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves and cursed by God.”

As a result of Government’s continuing indiscriminate attacks, (on the civilians’ residential areas) civilians’ death tolls increased, sufferings and many more displacements occurred particularly in Southern-eastern counties of Unity state. Since then, Fangak (South) county has been receiving more families and IDPs from the latter state. These families and IDPs are mostly coming from Unity state through swamps/rivers direct to Fangak (South) county of Mareang, Toch and Old Fangak Payams. And they (IDPs) are now increasingly in a dire need of humanitarian assistance. We have also learned that some of these IDPs are moved to Fangak Central-Northern part of Lak clan. The IDPs are mostly if not all elderly people, women and children. 

Therefore, the Association of Thiang Nuer Youth in Fangak (South) County calls upon all available humanitarian agencies in the county to help these IDPs and needy families with both food and non-food items. World Food Programme (WFP) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) should immediately step in: to render the basic services to the IDPs displaced from Unity state to Fangak (South) county. These helps or basic services are most urgently needed now!!

Thiang Nuer Youth Association
Old Fangak, Phow State
Contact email:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

South Sudan’s Minister accuses UN of treating Salva Kiir like a “schoolboy”

Juba, September 18, 2015 (SSNA) -- South Sudan’s Information Minister, Michael Makuei Lueth, on Friday told reporters in Juba that Salva Kiir will not attend the 29th of September UN-sponsored meeting because the United Nations (UN) has been treating Kiir like a “schoolboy.”

The surprise announcement stunned some reporters as the visibly furious Minister lectured the community of nations on what he thinks are the best ways to invite South Sudanese President.

"You cannot just invite a president and give him short notice like a schoolboy to come and attend your meetings, Makuey told reporters.

The Minister also thinks that the United States may only give Kiir Visa and denies or hinders visas to some members of Kiir’s delegation.

"Going to America, as you know is a problem, in terms of visa. Yes they can give the president the visa, but they can obstruct the going of others who are accompanying the president, so in order to avoid all this embarrassment, the Vice President James Wani Igga is going to attend," he asserted.

Makuey did not elaborate further on why he believes the US could prevent some government officials from attending the meeting.

UN’s Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, has invited South Sudan’s rivals to attend a UN meeting in New York. The summit is designed to bolster the implementation of the recently signed IGAD-Plus’s compromise peace agreement.

Rebel leader Dr. Riek Machar accepted the invitation. However, Kiir said he is not going to attend, saying his deputy, James Wani Igga, will participate in the conference.

Meanwhile, the South Sudan News Agency (SSNA) has been told by high-level government sources that Salva Kiir fears that if he travels to the US, his powerful allies like the SPLA Chief of General Staff Paul Malong Awan and many others who dislike the internationally-backed power-sharing deal could overthrow him.

More Articles...

Page 51 of 349

Our Mission Statement

To bring the latest, most relevant news and opinions on issues relating to the South Sudan and surrounding regions.

To provide key information to those interested in the South Sudan and its people.